Parent Training Plan Assignment Instructions
Individuals with ASD are uniquely impacted by sensory needs at home and school. Both hypo and hypersensitivities can impact each of an individual’s senses and impact communication, behavior, and social responses. As educators, we must support families in their awareness of how these sensory needs manifest and provide support recommendations. You will review the current literature, on sensory processing disorders related to tactile, vestibular, proprioceptive, visual, and auditory functions to develop strategies that parents can use with their children at home.
Create a family-friendly training plan to address the sensory impacts of students with ASD. Utilizing the Jerry Falwell Online Library research each sensory area and compose a final paper that includes the following elements:
- A detailed description of each sensory/motor processing disorder highlighting how parents can recognize when their child may need a professional evaluation and how parents should best document their concerns.
- A of five family-friendly activities to support the development of each sensory disorder, for a total of 25 activity recommendations. Submit these activities as a bulleted list with a brief description.
- For each of the sensory/motor disorders, develop three strategies to address and overcome challenges parents might face when a child in the home has the disorder, for a total of 15 recommended strategies. Submit these strategies as a bulleted list with a brief description.
- Recommendations on how the parents can keep data on progress to determine intervention/strategy success.
- Include a personal reflection response to your parent training. Discuss your personal opinion and beliefs about this parent training, what you foresee as being challenging for parents implementing this plan, and what you might do to further support parents to find success with your plan.
The final assignment should:
· Be 5-8 pages, double spaced, including reflection but excluding title page and reference page.
· Follow all current APA formatting guidelines.
· Cite a minimum of five sources.
o Two sources must include the course text and the Bible.
o Additional acceptable references include the course text, online resources, and scholarly works no more than five years old.