For this assessment, you will create a 5–7 slide PowerPoint presentation about a population health improvement plan. You will then record a video of no more than five minutes presenting your PowerPoint.
Master’s-level nurses need to be able to think critically about the evidence, outcomes data, and other relevant information they encounter throughout their daily practice. Often the evidence or information that a nurse encounters, researches, or studies is not presented in the exact context of that nurse’s practice. A key skill of the master’s-level nurse is to transfer evidence from the context in which it was presented and apply it to a different context in order to maximize the benefit to patients in that new context.
Master’s-level nurses need to be able to think beyond the bedside. It is important to be able to research, synthesize, and apply evidence that will result in improved health outcomes for the communities and populations that are part of your care setting. Improving outcomes at a community or population level, even incrementally, can create noticeably significant, aggregate health improvements for patients across all of a care setting.
Your organization has created an initiative to improve one of the pervasive and chronic health concerns in the community. Some examples of possibilities for health improvement initiatives include type 2 diabetes, HIV, obesity, and communicable diseases. You will need to do your own research to gather and evaluate the relevant data for your chosen issue.
Once you have created a presentation for the initiative, you have been asked to present to a group of community stakeholders. The purpose of your presentation is to inform and enlist support for the initiative from your audience.
The optional Evidence-Based Population Health Improvement Plan Presentation Template [PPTX] Download Evidence-Based Population Health Improvement Plan Presentation Template [PPTX]is provided to help you prepare your slidesx. If you choose to work without the template, consider referring to Creating a Presentation: A Guide to Writing and Speaking and Guidelines for Effective PowerPoint Presentations.
The suggested headings for your presentation are:
· Community Data Evaluation.
· Meeting Community Needs.
· Measuring Outcomes.
· Communication Plan.
In your presentation, you will:
· Evaluate the environmental and epidemiological data about your community to determine a population-focused priority for care.
o Identify the relevant data. This can be communicated in a table or chart.
o Describe the major population health issue suggested by the data within your community.
o Explain how environmental factors affect the health of community residents.
o Identify the level of evidence, validity, and reliability for each source.
o Explain what evidence in the current literature (published within the last five years) supports your evaluation of the data and the population focused priority of care you have selected.
· Develop an ethical health improvement plan with outcome criteria that addresses the population health priority that you identified in your evaluation.
o Consider the environmental realities and challenges existing in the community.
o Include interventions that will meet community needs.
o Address potential barriers or misunderstandings related to various cultures prevalent in the community.
o Propose criteria that can be used to evaluate the achievement of the plan’s outcomes for your population health improvement.
§ Explain why your proposed criteria are appropriate and useful measures of success.
· Explain a plan to collaborate with a specific community organization to support the implementation of the population health improvement in an ethical, culturally sensitive, and inclusive way.
o Identify the community stakeholders that are relevant to your Population Health Improvement Plan.
o Develop a clear communication strategy that is mindful of the cultural and ethical expectations of colleagues and community members regarding data privacy.
o Ensure that your strategy enables you to make complex medical terms and concepts understandable to members of the community regardless of disabilities, language, or level of education.
· Explain the value and relevance of the evidence and technology resources used as the basis of a population health improvement plan.
o Explain why the evidence is valuable and relevant to the community health concern you are addressing.
o Explain why each piece of evidence is appropriate and informs the goal of improving the health of the community.
· Communicate the Evidence-Based Population Health Improvement Plan in a professional, effective manner that engages the community organization stakeholders and the community-at-large to implement and sustain change.
o What specific actions can the community stakeholders take themselves to build a feeling of community ownership in your plan?
· Integrate relevant sources to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using APA style.
Before starting to record your presentation make sure you have:
· Set up and tested your microphone and headset using the installation instructions provided by the manufacturer. You only need to use the headset if your audio is not clear or high quality when captured by the microphone.
· Practice using the equipment to ensure the audio quality is sufficient.
· Consult Using Kaltura for guidance on how to record your presentation and upload it in the courseroom.
· Microsoft PowerPoint also allows you to record your narration with your slides. If you choose this option, simply submit your presentation to the appropriate area of the courseroom. Your narration will be included with your slides.
· Remember to practice delivering and recording your presentation multiple times to ensure effective delivery.
Note: If you require the use of assistive technology or alternative communication methods to participate in this activity, please contact Disability Services at DisabilityServices@Capella.edu to request accommodations.
· Length of submission: 5–7 slides. Balance text with visuals. Avoid text-heavy slides. Use speaker’s notes for additional content.
· Length of Video Presentation: No more than five minutes.
· Font and font size: Appropriate size and weight for a presentation, generally 24–28 points for headings; no smaller than 18 points for bullet-point text. Use a suitable professional typeface, such as Times or Arial, throughout the presentation.
· Number of references: Cite a minimum of 3–5 sources of scholarly or professional evidence that support your evaluation, recommendations, and plans. Current source material is defined as no older than five years unless it is a seminal work.
· APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
· Competency 1: Apply evidence-based practice to plan patient-centered care.
o Explain a plan to collaborate with a specific community organization to support the implementation of the population health improvement in an ethical, culturally sensitive, and inclusive way.
· Competency 2: Apply evidence-based practice to design interventions to improve population health.
o Develop an ethical health improvement plan with outcome criteria that addresses the population health priority for care identified in the evaluation.
· Competency 3: Evaluate the value, relevance, and ethics of available evidence upon which clinical decisions are made.
o Evaluate the environmental and epidemiological data about your community to determine a population-focused priority for care.
o Explain the value and relevance of the evidence and technology resources used as the basis of a population health improvement plan.
· Competency 5: Communicate effectively with diverse audiences, in an appropriate form and style, consistent with organizational, professional, and scholarly standards.
o Communicates the Evidence-Based Population Health Improvement Plan in a professional, effective manner that engages the community organization stakeholders and the community-at-large to implement and sustain change.
o Integrate relevant and credible sources of evidence to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using APA style.